Flood Guard FAQ

Below are answers to 20 of the most commonly asked question about Flood Guard, an admitted-residential flood product.



  1. Are the rates for Flood Guard based on the NFIP flood zones?

No. We overlaid a 30×30 meter grid over the state using a catastrophe mapping model. Our rates are based off this model instead.

  1. Does Flood Guard require an elevation certificate?

No. Because we mapped the state in advance, we already have the elevation for every location.

  1. Can I backdate the effective date on a bound policy?

No. The policy with the wrong effective date will be flat cancelled and a duplicate flood policy with the correct effective date will be issued. If payment was already received, the funds will be transferred to the new policy.

  1. What do I do if the lender requires a different flood zone on the policy?

Because our rates are not based off the NFIP flood zones, we can edit the flood zone to reflect the lenders requirements. Email CE@ProspectGeneral.com with your policy # if you need a different flood zone to show on the declaration page.

  1. Do lenders accept Flood Guard as an alternative to the National Flood Insurance Program?

Yes. Our flood program is admitted and accepted by lenders. We can provide a compliance email upon request.

  1. Is Flood Guard available in every flood zone?

Yes, we can write in every flood zone.

  1. Are crawl spaces considered basements?

No. Crawl spaces do not count as a basement.

  1. Can secondary homes, vacation homes, or rentals be covered?

Yes. Flood Guard does not have an occupancy clause. The quoting and binding process is the same as a primary home.

  1. Does Flood Guard offer Business Income loss?

Yes. This will be covered under the “Loss of Use” coverage amount with a maximum of $50K. If a part of a dwelling held for rental becomes uninhabitable, we cover its fair rental value (Page 17 Policy Jacket).

  1. Can mobile or manufactured homes be covered?

No. The home must be stationary and built on a foundation.

  1. Can Flood Guard cover condos?

No. Flood Guard is written specifically for single family homes and independent dwellings.

  1. Can Flood Guard cover townhomes and duplexes?

Yes. As long as the owner owns the entire townhome and duplex, we can offer full coverage. If there is a shared wall, Flood Guard can only cover Contents and Loss of Use.

  1. If I’m the agent, can I change the mailing address myself for a bound policy?

Yes. By logging into the PASS system and opening up your policy. We can provide you with a short walk-through on how to process endorsements in the PASS system.

  1. If I’m the agent, can I add/remove lender information for a bound policy?

Yes. By logging into the PASS system and opening up your policy. We can provide you with a short walk-through on how to process endorsements in the PASS system.

  1. How do I make payments if I chose an installment plan for Flood Guard?

Go to ProspectGeneral.com and click the Payments link at the top. You can pay without registering as long as you have your policy #.

  1. What payment methods are accepted?

We accept all major credit cards and e-checks.

  1. What do I do with the signed Flood Guard application?

Agents will upload the signed application using the PASS system. Open your policy and upload to the Archived Files tab in the Documents window.

  1. Can I choose to only have dwelling coverage and no contents or loss of use?

Yes. All coverage options are à la carte.

  1. Why can’t I change the coverage limits on an old quote?

Clicking ‘Update & Process’ or ‘Pay & Process’ in the quote will lock in the coverage amounts and the payment method. Email CE@ProspectGeneral.com with the quote number (ex. FLQ-18-0000000-00) stating “Request to Suspend”. Once suspended you will be able to make changes to your quote.

  1. Under what circumstances will my policy be cancelled?
    1. Duplicate Coverage – If the insured is unable to cancel an existing policy (NFIP) and has issued a policy with us, we will Flat Cancel the policy held with Prospect General.
    2. Flood No Longer Required by Lender – If the government makes a change to the required flood zone, and your property is no longer in an area required to hold flood coverage we will cancel the policy. We require certified documentation be provided stating the flood zone change.
    3. Non-Payment – If payment is not received by the mortgagee, we will provide a 45-day “Notice of cancellation” period. After the 45-day period we will move forward with cancelling the policy.